Sunday, November 28, 2010

Fall State

went to the JSA (Junior Statesmen of America) convention Fallstate this weekend. This was my first JSA convention I enjoyed this convention we debated about many topics. Well we were in the debate I did not go up as a subsequent speaker for any of the debates this time but I am going to write something for Winter congress. I went to the following debates and workshops, Workshop debate 101, Should the US president be a natural born citizen, Should the driving age be raised to 18, quarter vote, Crisis Scenario, DNA testing for babys, Gay rights for adoption and abolish the penny.
During a debate there are two main speakers and they each get 6 minutes to talk. Then subsequent speackers get to go up and talk for 3 minutes each going in the order of pro, con, pro, con
after that the main speakers get to talk one last time then everybody takes a vote. Now you can also extend the speakers time by calling “motion to extend speakers time”. This ofcoars cant be done with the main speaker. If you want to discuss the debate with friends or people sitting next to you you can call “motion to caucus” this usually lasts about 1-3 minutes. Also at the beginning of a debate the moderator elects a time keeper.
In the event there are 8 blocks and in each block there is 6-9 debates going on you of coars get to choose what debate you want to go to each debate last about 50 minutes.
We staid in a hotel and had to walk In poring rain to get dinner.
This was fun for me and I really enjoyed all the debates.

No comments:

Post a Comment